Job ID: 289546864
Last Updated: 10/22/2020
Physician & Practitioner Recruitment
Provides clinical neuropsychological examinations using models of brain-behavior relationships to provide evaluation and assessment, treatment, education, and consultation to improve clients abilities to their highest feasible level. The pediatric neuropsychologist will be housed in the Department of Neurology at Essentia Health Duluth Clinic. Referrals come from a wide range of departments, including Neurology, Physical Medicine Rehabilitation, Psychiatry/Behavioral Health, and Hematology/Oncology. The addition of a second pediatric neuropsychologist will allow for expansion of the service to accept referrals from a wider range of departments such as Pediatrics and Pediatric Cardiology. Referring conditions cover a wide range of neurodevelopmental and acquired conditions such as traumatic brain injury (TBI)/concussion, epilepsy, long-term survivors of pediatric cancers, and complex psychiatric conditions. The position is generalist in nature, but opportunities to develop specific areas of practice in concert with the current pediatric neuropsychologist exist. Patients referred to neuropsychology are from a wide catchment area that includes northern Minnesota and Wisconsin as well as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This broad catchment area facilitates the opportunity to see patients from a wide range of backgrounds with a particular emphasis on patients living in rural communities. The new pediatric neuropsychologist will join the current pediatric neuropsychologist as well as two adult neuropsychologists. The neuropsychologists work closely with the neurology providers within the department as well as with a wide range of medical providers, psychologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech-language pathologists across the Duluth Clinic and St. Marys Medical Center. The position is clinical in nature, but opportunities to develop research interests exist. In addition, opportunities for clinical supervision to licensed and unlicensed personnel exist. Position requires high level of customer service skills to establish and enhance positive relationships with patients, co-workers and others.
Hours for this position: Monday-Friday, no call, no weekend, day hours
The pediatric neuropsychologists primarily see children between 2- and 18-years of age, but opportunities to work with slightly younger and older children are available.
Additional education and/or years experience required:
- Current Psychologist licensure in the appropriate state(s). Certified by the American Board of Clinical Neuropsychology (ABCN), the Board of Professional Neuropsychology (ABPN) or the American Academy of Pediatric Neuropsychology (AAPdN) or able to attain board certification within 2 years from date of hire. Neuropsychology Fellowship completed.
The Neuropsychologist in this position is expected to perform the following duties:
- Ability to assess levels of impairment and causality and to formulate a diagnosis and an intervention plan as appropriate
- Ability to use standardized neuropsychological measurements in providing descriptive and predictive information regarding behaviors influenced by brain functioning or medical conditions
- Provides Clinical Neuropsychological examinations for a pediatric population
- Working knowledge of neuropsychological intervention techniques of target behaviors and or cognitive deficits
- Ability to provide consultation and education to medical colleagues, family members and others
- Highly developed analytical, critical thinking and organizational skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be self-directed, to make independent judgments, and act assertively
- Able to refer or research questions regarding evaluation or treatment techniques or procedures
- Ability to work as a team member
- Demonstrates ability to use good judgment in emergency situations
- Knowledge and application of computer systems and programs
- Demonstrates ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and work demands
- Demonstrates ability to implement problem-solving skills and deal with diverse client behaviors
- Demonstrates ability to work under time pressures and constraints
- Demonstrates ability to stay calm and focused in an environment of multiple demands and distractions
- Ability to establish appropriate professional boundaries
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to learn and apply new and upgraded competencies to job responsibilities
Essentia Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran Status.
View Full Employer Profile